Located on Borneo island, Kota Kinabalu is the capital of the state of Sabah as well as a famous tourist destination and major industrial and commercial center of East Malaysia. This mesmerizing city encompasses the serenity at the top of Mount Kinabalu to the depths of the oceans showcasing one of the most pretty underwater life with the world’s largest biodiversity and coral reefs, beautiful islands and clean sandy beaches. Traveling to Kota Kinabalu, you will certainly have a memorable holiday.
Best time to visit
You can travel to Kota Kinabalu at any time of the year but you should avoid visiting in the rainy season, lasting from October to January next year. The best time to travel Kota Kinabalu is from February onwards; the weather is cool, not too hot, the average temperature from 22 – 30֯ C that is very convenient for swimming and visiting.
Stay in Kota Kinabalu
Hotels in Kota Kinabalu are quite diverse in both quantity and quality. Depending on your needs and your budget, you can choose the most suitable hotel. Here are some suggestions:
Budget and cheap hotels:
- Asia Adventure Lodge – 112, 1st Floor, Gaya Road., Trade Centre, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia – Cheapest price: 12,07 USD
- Borneo Global Backpackers Hotel – Lot 29, Ground & 1st Floor, Karamunsing Godown, Jalan Karamunsing, Trade Centre, Kota Kinabalu – price from 9,98 USD
- Century Hotel Inanam – 34, 1st Floor, Block E, Inanam Business Centre, Trade Centre, Kota Kinabalu – price from 8,05 USD.
Mid-range, convenient location hotels:
- MC Holiday Apartment @ Marina Court Resort Condominium – Lebuhraya Pantai Baru, Trade Centre, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia – cheapest price: 68,25 USD
- Ming Garden Residence – Lorong Ming Garden, Jalan Coastal, Trade Centre, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia – price from 56,34 USD
- C’haya hotel – Lot 7, Jalan Tanjung Aru (Beside Tanjung Aru Police Station), Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia – cheapest price: 48,27 USD
Luxurious hotels & resorts:
- Bunga Raya Island Resort – Polish Bay, Gaya Island, Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Gaya Island, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia – price from 229,85 USD
- Gayana Eco Resort – Malohom Bay, Gaya Island, Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Gaya Island, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia – cheapest price: 220,32 USD
- Gaya Island Resort – Malohom Bay, Pulau Gaya, Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Gaya Island, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia – price from 208,32 USD
Places to see
Gaya Island: a beautiful island which is known as the Maldives of Malaysia. There is a magnificent 5-star resort on the water and Marine Ecology Research Centre on the island.
Manukan Island: is a popular spot in Kota Kinabalu with many interesting activities that you should not miss.
Sapi Island: has stunning beaches with white sand and attractive services. There is no hotel in here but you can camp overnight.
Mamutik Island: is the smallest island in Kota Kinabalu where you can swim and camp.
What to eat
Kota Kinabalu is famous for traditional curry dish. You can try this dish at one of curry eateries on Jln Tul Fuads Stephens Street, Jln Pasar Baru,… or at the night market.
Seafood in here is also very cheap; with only 20RM, you will have chance to enjoy delicious crab, shrimp, squid, seaweed salad,…
There is a Philippine handicraft market in Kota Kinabalu which sells souvenirs, traditional hand-made products and pearls. In addition, you can visit other shopping addresses in Kota Kinabalu such as Suria Sabah, Center Point, Parkson, KK Plaza, Wisma Merdeka, Warisan Square, and so on.
This is some travel tips in Kota Kinabalu you should know before visiting there. Hopefully with all the information above, you will have a perfect trip. To get more about tourism in Malaysia, you can visit our website. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to let us know. We can reply you as soon as possible. You also like or share this article if you like it!